Monday, March 2, 2009

Beer Bread

For Nick's last home cooked meal before he left, my friend B asked Nick what he wanted. All we could out of him was, "Beer."

So, she went on a hunt and found this beer bread recipe. I made it. It turned out real good. As I was mixing the ingredients, I thought it couldn't be right because it was so weird. But as it was baking in oven and the house smelled like a bakery, I knew it was going to be good.

And oh boy, was it!

You can serve this b read with soups, dips, or just have it as a snack to eat. Its so soft and moist. It really is fantastic.

Serves 6-8 But I found it to serve much more. I even ended up throwing a bunch away because we couldn't eat it all.

3 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using self rising flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1 12 oz can/bottle of beer
1/4 cup melted butter

1.Preheat oven to 375.
2.Mix all dry ingredients and beer.
3.Pour into a greased loaf pan.
4.Pour melted butter over mixture.
Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

If using a non-alcoholic beer add a packet of dry active yeast.

Bread dough


Dough in loaf pan topped with butter


Finished loaf of bread



I sliced the bread and we used it to dip into Cheeseburger dip. Recipe coming soon.

4 comments:

DaniKel said...

We have had this before. You can also use a can of soda. Adds a bit of a different flavor depending on what liquid you use. Something to play around with! ;-)

Jody said...

Yummy......I'll hve to try this one...

Michelle said...

Hmm, the soda sounds neat. Like an orange soda? Yum.

Unknown said...

i finally got around to making this. i did it i the bread maker, mixed it then set it to just bake for 1 hr. it worked fantastic. i also used "wild blue" a blueberry microbrew. it was awesome.