Thursday, March 5, 2009

Broccoli and Cheese Soup


I got this recipe from the WIC office months ago. Turned out good. I would add more cheese. I dont think it had enough cheese flavor in it. Overall, easy and good. I will make it again. Kayla loved it.

2 tbs olive oil, 2 onions chopped (I only used 1), 6 medium potatoes cubed (I used 6 small ones), 1 pint of water or stock (I used chicken broth), 2 heads of broccoli flowerets (about 2 cups), 8 oz cheddar cheese (I would use 10 oz next time)

1. Heat oil, add onions and potatoes.
2.When yellowish, add about 1 pint stock and one head of broccoli, salt, pepper.
3.Cook about 20 minutes at a fast simmer.
4.Add another head of broccoli, simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5.Remove from pan (I didn't) while new broccoli is still crunchy.
6.Add about 8 oz grated cheddar cheese and stir until cheese melts. Top with lots of ground pepper. Serve with fresh baked brown bread.

YUM-O!

I made it for lunch today and am taking some to a friend's house to go with dinner! Cant wait to eat more.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Im making this tomorrow thanks...

Deena said...

Michelle,
I made this soup last weekend and it was awesome! I did add garlic at the beginning when i cooked the onion and potato. I also added 10 ounces of chedder cheese. It had a wonderful flavor to it! It was easy and quick to make! Thanks for posting it.

Jody said...

Yum, can't wait to try it..