Friday, January 23, 2009

Ummmm Ummm Shanghai Lumpia!

Oh my gosh. OK. BY FAR, this is the best recipe I have EVER made. Yup, the best EVER. E-V-E-R! So of course I will be making this often. I made Shanghai Lumpia last night for dinner. I never made it before. This was my first attempt. It is kind of like the Philippine version of an egg roll I suppose. The locals here (Chamorros) eat this lumpia like its going out of style. They eat it with everything just like us Americans eat french fries with our burgers.
After a little research, I made the best lumpia ever. OK, probably not, but pretty dang close if you ask me and my husband and the next door neighbor. They tasted as if we were eating them downtown. DEEEEEEEEEELISH!

OK, so here's the pictures and recipe. This recipe makes 30 lumpia.
I used 2 lbs ground pork. You can use chicken, beef, shrimp or a mixture, but the traditional Shanghai Lumpia calls for pork. And it tastes best.

Brown meat and garlic and in pan. I used 4 cloves of fresh minced garlic. Make sure it's minced pretty finely. I took a handful of baby carrots, 2 sticks of celery and 1/3 of a red onion. I used red onion because Nick doesnt like too much of an onion taste and red onion is sweeter. I puree'd all 3 veggies because again, my picky husband will NOT go anywhere near a vegatble if he knows it's there.
I mixed the veggies in the with browned meat in the pan. You couldnt even see it in there! (hehe!)
You can create your own filling though. You can do a vegetable lumpia or you can mix the meat with shredded cabbage, green be ans, bean sprouts. The possibilites are endless.
Of course you need a 30 pack of lumpia wrappers, thawed out.
I took a tablespoonful of meat mixture and placed in on the wrapper. Wrapped it tightly and sealed the end with water and flour. It works like edible glue!
I deep fried for just a few minutes. They cook fast! And vio`la. Just as easy as that, they are done!
And my very picky hubby who wont go near a veggie with a 10 foot long fork, didnt even know what was in it! He just knew he loved the lumpia!
Here are pictures. Let me know if you have any questions!





2 comments:

Jody said...

What are those things on the skewer??? So that's all you put in lumpia? If I was to make those, do I need a deep fryer or just a frying pan??? Also, can you get lumpia wrappers in the states you think???

Guambat Stew said...

Hafa adai and welcome to Guam. You might enjoy one of the region's most delightful culinary blogs, called "the scent of green bananas" or tsogb for short. http://scentofgreenbananas.blogspot.com/

By the bye, the blogger goes by the name guambat, which is entirely coincidental. Guambat Stew never met or heard of her when he started blogging.